Thursday 21 April 2011

Information literacy thoughts

So after reading just one article about info lit, a few thoughts have occurred to me.
First it sorta sounds like stuff I was doing in my early years of teaching.  I figured that the kids are going to know how to read or interpret more than books, so I was showing them how read posters, the phone book, adverts etc.  All stuff they were going to need to function properly in the world outside of school.  All before the www was invented.  SO now that we have a www, my thought is that we just extend literacy into these areas.  Include how to read and interpret websites, social media, texts, emails etc.
If I was going to present the concept of info lit to techers who had been teaching for ages, I'd take that angle - stuff the kids are going to need to know how to read and interpret to function outside of school and not get ripped off.
Second trying to find a definition for info lit sounds very similar to finding a definition for the role of a TL - they're a great, research-backed and you'd better have it, but exactly what they are or do is still a bit of a mystery!

The Laptop Fallacy - dense article re info lit

No comments:

Post a Comment