Saturday 10 November 2012

And so the social media journey begins...

So the social media newbie is about to start her social media journey.  Lurking in the back of my head it the thought that social media is going to have to prove its worth to me before I become a user.  At the moment I see no reason to be using social media and it seems like just another thing to add to my already blown-out To Do List. 

However at one point I felt the same about iPhones.  Until my brother gave me his old one for free and I got it connected to my WiFi at home and work.  Now I love it. And I can see that social media is the method of communication for an ever-increasing group. And anyone intending to work in either education or in libraries had better get thier head around it.

Hence the reason for deliberately choosing INFO506 as one of my optional subjects.  It will force me to use tool that I had never considered and maybe I'll find uses that I never knew existed.

It's the day before INFO506 officially opens and I already have 3 new social media accounts - Facebook, Flickr and delicious.  I have no idea what delicious is but its a requirement for the subject so now I have an account. Already have a Twitter account thanx to Vanessa at school (but can I remember how to get to it?  Hmm, unlikely).  Got a bit worried when Facebook asked for the password to my email account so it could access all my contacts.  Not likely thought I!  I don't want you snooping around in my private list of account thank you very much Facebook!  So on the advice of people at work I created a brand new gmail account that Facebook is now connected to. 

Alright then, social media get ready, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment